Monday, October 24, 2011

Why a consult?

Are you sure you want to delete this post? This action is permanent. The life of a pet sitter sure beats sitting behind a desk in a cubicle any day, but that's not to say it's without its own frustrations and watercooler dish.  Here's a story I'd like to share as to why an initial consult is required.

My pet peeve, (no pun intended), was the 'new' client who called from the airport and left a voicemail, saying that he left his key under the mat, his dog in the house, states the address, and says, 'Thanks.'  This was at 6 a.m., and was a call from a total stranger to Paws-itive Experience, but at that point, what could I do? Leave the poor dog alone? Paws-itive Experience always requires an initial consultation visit prior to accepting a new client, but at this point, I headed for the house and crossed my paws.

Turns out that there was no such street address in any mapping service, and I had to call the local fire department to find out where I were supposed to be.  Guess what?

You guessed it. They didn't have the address either; it was that new.  Repeated calls to the "client", now on a plane to who knows where, finally got me a return call at midnight.

Frantic by now ... I raced over to the house to discover a very sweet black Lab crossing his legs, but no mess in the house.  A miracle, to be sure!  Five days of thrice a day visits and the errant owner finally returned. 

It took another six months to collect our bill, but that was a lesson learned.  No more new clients without a formal consult!

No comments:

Post a Comment